Welcome to our Income Tax Refund Status Service. You may use this service to check the status of your New Jersey income tax refund. To do so, you must know your Social Security Number and the amount of your refund.
Please read the following information about our process for sending refunds and then click on the Continue button
if you would like to find out the status of your refund.
We process individual income tax returns on a daily basis beginning in January. This processing includes the
The majority of this processing is automated. However, some returns go through an additional manual process to
make sure they were filed correctly. This manual process includes checking to make sure income, deductions and
credits were reported correctly. In some cases, we can't complete the processing of a return without additional
information from the filer of the return. If that's the case with your return, we'll send you a letter instead of
sending your refund.
- Transferring information from the returns to the State's automated processing system
- Checking to see that we transferred the information correctly
- Checking to see if the returns had any mathematical errors
- Checking for inconsistencies and other possible errors
Generally, we process returns filed electronically (those filed online using our NJ WebFile service or filed by
computer software) faster than returns filed on paper.
You should only use the Online Refund Status Service if you filed your return at least 4 weeks ago (electronically) or 12 weeks ago (paper).
- Processing of electronic returns typically takes a minimum of 4 weeks.
- Processing of paper tax returns typically takes a minimum of 12 weeks.
- Returns that require manual processing may take 12 weeks or longer whether the return was filed electronically or on paper.
Click on the button below to continue.